Thursday 30 May 2013

"A New Command I Give You: Love One Another.

In Johns gospel, Jesus said we should love one another. "Hmmm" I thought, "that should be easy."
The next thing that came to my mind were the questions, "do I really love? ,what is love really?"

WHAT IS LOVE?
In my pondering this scripture came to mind 1 Corinthians 13v1-13.
Verse 4-8 love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always persevers. Love never fails. NIV

DO I REALLY LOVE?
After reading this again and again I began to realize,  where I was lacking and I also realized it takes the grace of the Almighty God to love according to the standard set before me in the verse above.
I remember reading somewhere in the Bible (Jn 14v15) where Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commands." I know I love Jesus and I want to keep His commands. I am a mother and I am more pleased with my children when they listen and obey me; I know how important it is to me. I feel honoured when they listen to my instructions it makes me love them more and want to favour them with gifts and trips to the movies. So I can imagine how honored Jesus will be. As a matter of fact I don't think I have the right to ask my children to obey me if I can't fully obey God.

I truly want to love. I don't honestly think I love enough. For one, I sometimes keep records of wrong. Hmm the word of truly is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of thoughts and intents of the heart. (Heb4v12)
And all this while I thought I was a loving person. Thank God for His word.


WHAT WILL I DO TO ACHIEVE THIS?
I know I love Jesus, I want to show this by obeying Him. I know I need help to do this. I know I have to wait patiently for the Holy Spirit to erase all I have learnt over time.....
I will recite this verse till I fully absorb it in my mind. I will also pray and ask for His grace. And I will try my best to love on purpose.


PRAYER
Dear Lord, 
Please help me by your Spirit to obey honor and fear you all the days of my life.  I know I am stubborn sometimes but please remember the heart of a king is in your hand Lord, and as rivers of water you turneth it withersoever You will.  Father may it please you to turn my heart to obey fear and honor you please teach me to love truly according to your word, for I ask in Jesus mighty name. Amen.






2 comments:

  1. Very profound Alero...but like you stressed it takes the grace of God to love....and thats what we should seek alongside love itself coz as humans,we get tired to show love when its not been reciprocated ,even in the minutest of measures.....
    Nice piece....KIU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!
    A whole new dimension to meditation. You make it seem soo real and personal. Love is a beautiful thing.
    I dare to love truly!

    ReplyDelete